Saturday, January 29, 2011

From Scratch: Hummus

I love hummus. I can eat half a container of hummus in a day. Unfortunately, a container of hummus can cost up to $7. Now there's two solutions to my expensive habit - stop eating hummus or make it myself. Since the former isn't really an option, I decided to make hummus myself from scratch. I made about 6 cups of hummus and it cost me about $5. I even made so much that I had to freeze some. I followed most of Mark Bittman's recipe, but changed some things.


6 cups of dry chickpeas
1 1/2 cups of tahini
3/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
6 cloves garlic, peeled
Juice from 3 lemons
3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
Chopped parsley leaves for garnish


Cover dry chickpeas with cold water in a large saucepan and let soak overnight (dry chickpeas are super hard, so the longer they soak, the better). After they've soaked, drain the beans and cover again with fresh cold water. Bring the pot to a boil and simmer for an hour. Once they've cooked, drain the chickpeas but be sure to reserve the chickpea water!

Combine chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice together in a food processor. Add salt and pepper to taste. As the ingredients combine, add the chickpea water to get a smooth, creamier consistency. Add the paprika and cayenne as you like.

Serve with a sprinkling of paprika and parsley on top.

Hummus is pretty forgiving so you can try lots of different flavors, but you may want to start with smaller batches if you're really experimenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment