Monday, January 10, 2011

Forecast: Snow and Pear Pancakes


Usually when it snows I make my blizzard scones but those feel like a Baltimore tradition, so I'm going to do something different for tomorrow's impending storm. Though we really don't need anymore snow (one storm per vacation is enough) and it has royally ruined my travel plans, I know it will be gorgeous and being stuck inside with my labs will be delightful. And what better way to start off a blizzard than with a hearty breakfast?

I saw Jamie Oliver make this recipe on the Cooking Cha
nnel a few weeks ago, and instantly wanted to replicate it. I highly encourage watching both the episode (because Jamie Oliver's daughters are the cutest things in the world) and the station (because it trumps the Food Network like nobody's business - even though it is owned/created by FN).

I couldn't find the "self-rising flour" that the recipe calls for so I improvised/cheated. ((I'll post my ingredients below)) If you're not a big fruit-in-your-pancake lover, don't worry! Instead of tasting really like pear pancakes, the fruit instead gives the pancake a fluffy, moist consistency and a bit of sweetness. If you're lazy or can't find all the ingredients (like me), then this is also a great way to jazz up normal pancake batter.


Organic pancake and waffle flour/mixture (I like 365's whole wheat mix)
Egg
Butter/Oil
Water/Milk
One pear (grated or sliced thinly, depends on how ripe the pear is)
Frozen blueberries (or fruit of choice) - optional

Simply follow the directions on the pancake mix's label. Once everything it calls for is mixed together, then add in your fruit. Using a ladle, pour the batter on to a hot buttered griddle (or frying pan). When bubbles start to form on the top flip the pancake, and cook on the other side till done all the way through. Serve with warm maple syrup and bacon. Tres simple et tres delicieux.

No comments:

Post a Comment